Episode 87: Chosen
Questions and Topics For Discussion
- “What is Pick Me Culture?”
- How does it affect us personally and/or collectively?
- Unpack Original Thread . . .Thoughts?
- Is the woman who wrote the tweet doing this to be “picked?”
- Is this really the “formula” for getting the “right” man?
- Read the response to the Thread . . . Thoughts?
- Do you think women really compete for the affection of men? [Consider the women who you surround yourself with.]
- How much of this “pick me” culture is rooted in origin/ what we have been taught since young?
- Make reference to Alicia’s Statement from Episode 59: Non-Coachable Sistas where she states “I also have a lot of problems with the bible because I feel like it is so male centric.” <--How does the bible and its ideologies tie in with Pick Me Culture? (Possible reference Ruth and the constant reference to women “finding their Boaz” or “waiting to be found/chosen”)
- Should women be chosen by men?
- At what point, if any, should they (women) start to do the choosing?
- What is we don’t wanna be chosen? Does that make us too strong/ independent/ much of a Black woman (the stigma)?
Discussion of the #BlackChynaChallengev & Sex Doll Twitter Frenzy
- What is it?
- Why/how did it get so popular?
- Does this tie into today’s conversation? How so?
Pick Me! . . . Or Not
As a final note from each of us, we will discuss whether or not we want to be chosen. Complete one of the following sentence starters:
Pick me because _______________________.
Don’t pick me because _______________________.
Around The Way
Fountain of Youth Juice Bar & Café