This week we break down Issa Rae's two productions, The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl and Insecure.
- When you think of Issa Rae, what immediately comes to your mind?
- Reflect on her character “Issa” in “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl.” What were your first impressions?
- Contrast that character with Issa’s character in “Insecure.”
- Based on “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” did you have any presumptions about “Insecure?”
- Let’s talk character development: How would you contrast Issa in “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl” with Issa in “Insecure?”
- Do you see any parallels between either Issas and yourself?/ How?
- What does Issa’s come up mean for you personally?
- Does Issa do a good job at telling our story [the Black woman narrative]?
- Finally, contrast the characters between “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” and “Insecure”
- Ceecee versus Molly
- Jay versus Lawrence
- Baby Voice Darius versus Thug Yoda
Hollywood Finally Embraces What It Means To Be Black and Awkward by Darnell McGee
Lastly you can connect with us on our website wecomefromqueens.com as well as our social media platforms: instagram, twitter and Facebook @wecomefromqns.
You can send us questions you would like us to answer during an episode.
You can listen to us on soundcloud, stitcher, itunes (rate & review on itunes). Please don’t forget to stop by our store on the site as we finally have new merchandise.
Finally, our love connection has returned and we are accepting applications until Jul 18th!